Sunday, November 02, 2003

Friday, October 31, 2003
I went to college with this girl named Denise. Before graduation, we seniors were either ashamed to show our faces in public because of unemployment, or were bragging about the fabulous new jobs we had landed. I was the little prick who wanted to show everyone up, saying things like, "oh, yeah. I'm going to be a producer for Entertainment Tonight." (i.e. I am so much better than you that you should not even be speaking to me right now.) Some of my snotty girlfriends rattled on about the bitchy, Prada and Jimmy Choo-infested P.R. firms they'd be whoring for. A couple of my other friends boasted about their entrance into the music industry, etc.

But not Denise. Denise is (was?) a very smart girl, has a charming personality, and is not lazy nor retarded. However, she found a job working at the AMC Empire movie theatre on 42nd street, where she would be making popcorn all day. She was exhilerated. She had just completed her bachelors degree and was insanely thrilled to work at the AMC Empire. Hearing her excitement over this was freakishly entertaining and disturbing, all at the same time.

Like...in a ghetto voice that wasn't her usual method of speaking, she told all of our professors about her lucrative new career in the "film industry" - Professsaaaaaaaaaaah! I got me a job! I'm workin' at da AMC Empire! I'm makin' popcorn! And ain't gonna give you no free tickets cuz you done gave me a B minus on my paper! When people thought she was kidding about her excitement, she literally thought they were crazy. Denise thought she got the absolute most fantastic job in the entire world and truly expected everyone to be jealous of her.

I want to be Denise today. Right now. All I want to do is make popcorn at the AMC Empire movie theatre on 42nd street and be happy about doing so. I wish to be simple and uncomplicated and happy and happy and happy.

Taken from the ever-interesting blog of MeZack.

Labels: