Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sep 28th, 2007
01:07 am - there is such a thing as a tesseract

It is a dark and stormy night. (No lie. I even made hot cocoa earlier.)

I grew up in a household where everyone "knew" there was a copy of A Wrinkle in Time (and the entire Chronicles of Narnia, the Oz books, various bits of the Wheel of Time, etc.; I sometimes think of them like lost, benevolent ghosts) somewhere in the basement (Or maybe the attic. Have you tried the attic?) but no one could ever find it (Are you sure you looked in the basement?). So I've gotten to know the children's section at the library pretty well. I sat between two child-sized bookcases for about a half hour this afternoon, reading titles. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe I just needed a little child-sized comfort.

I didn't quite find it. As often as I've read A Wrinkle in Time, it breaks me down every time. Just say "there is such a thing as a tesseract" and I'll burst into tears. But it's a comforting kind of disturbed. There is love that can take you across the universe. Sometimes your greatest faults are your greatest strengths. The people you've lost can be found. The stars are conspiring to save you. I sat between two child-sized bookcases this afternoon, remembering that the world is a disturbing and beautiful place. I don't know what I'll be doing in a year. I'll try to make it something disturbing and beautiful.

-From the journal of frostflake

Labels: